Saturday 8 December 2012

Finally Posting Again! WELLS CATHEDRAL

Life has been very hectic, both inside and outside of art. It has been 05-30 starts and 01-00 finishes for weeks now.

We have had two shows. The first one got torpedoed by the advertising people getting the wrong day. It was Thursday and they advertised Saturday. Nevertheless we were moderately successful. The second show was last Thursday and took place in a blizzard - freezing conditions with roads closing by the minute. People stayed away in their thousands, but we ended up in profit, somehow!

 The final show is next Thursday and they are saying it will coincide with the arrival of the "Beast from the East" ... snowstorms and freezing conditions straight off the Russian Steppes! ......

                     "But we're singing a Happy Song.
                        Higgity, Haggity, Hoggety, High
                        Pioneers, they never say die!!!!!!"
                     
                                                .....Pat and I continue undaunted!


 We are doing this for fun rather than for the money, and we are meeting so many exciting people. I'm not normally the talker, but so many people want to discuss my work; I'm amazed at their interest.

I've had three cards produced from my artwork (Cloisters, the Balloon and the German castle) by Fine Art America - I'm really pleased at their high quality/cheapness/and short shipping times. It's worth putting your stuff on there, not only to sell on-line, but also to buy (at cost price) the cards from them and then sell them on in the real world.  I bought 75 cards as an experiment, and they sell at a good profit margin. People don't always want 'pictures' but can afford a few cards!


And now we come to Saint Andrew's Cathedral in WELLS, Somerset. It was started in 1191 by Bishop Reginald de Bohun. It is considered to be a relatively modest cathedral by the English standards of the day. It is best known for its cruciform buttress arches (built in 1338)




HOWEVER ... by moving the camera around, many unnoticed angles and images appear, and from those I drew this:


Click on Image to enlarge



Saint Andrew's Cathedral, Wells, Somerset, England              John Simlett (2012)
Pen and Ink on Cartridge paper (300gsm)
22 inches x 16 inches
(56 cms x 41 cms.)


As you can see, Priscilla, is looking at a stained glass window. For details of the window I am indebted to a kind person who writes a wonderful blog: 'A Clerk of Oxford'. She allowed me to use her photograph of the windows of  kings.
Unfortunately I can't do the photograph justice,  for although it is a very large picture, by pen and ink standards, it is not big enough to show off the fantastic stained glass.

I would also like to thank our Judy, from Holland (everyone's favourite) for showing me how to put the copyright watermark on my drawings,

42 comments:

  1. St.Andrew's Cathedral takes my breath away! Your pen & ink work is absolutely outstanding, John! I love the stained window..Adding a little color made this the perfect piece. The best of luck with your show...it will be a success!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, John.

    The Wells work is magnificent. Congratulations.

    May I wish you every success with the Show ?

    in Domino.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind support.

      You may; thank you :0)

      Dominus vobiscum

      Delete
  3. This is awesome, John! And I love the use of color in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciao John,
    che incredibile effetto l'interno di questa chiesa disegnata così...lei è maestosa e noi siamo proprio piccoli...
    Il tuo disegno fa vivere all'interno con il viso rivolto in su ad ammirare le volte , a riflettere e filosofeggiare sulla vita..
    Auguri per la mostra e se farà così freddo un buon vino caldo (vin brulè) può essere una buona idea per riprendersi!
    Ciao, ciao, Floriana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Floriana ... I will remember the mulled wine and toast your good health with it!

      Ciao, Ciao, John

      Delete
  5. Magnificent drawing of a magnificent structure, John. I'm glad you profited at your shows in spite of the weather. I'd love to know how you copyright your work. Please share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Linda. I will forward you all the copyright details later today

      Delete
  6. Wow...this is fantastic! Oh my gosh---the perspective is outrageous! You must be the world's greatest ink artist--this is beeeauuuutiful! I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celeste, you flatter me (blush) but I'm really glad you approve.

      Delete
  7. I could get lost in your drawing! Fabulous piece. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I do like the viewer to wander around the drawing :0)

      Delete
  8. Impresionante trabajo, enhorabuena!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous drawing, John, I love the little coloured window in it! And of course Priscilla! I'm happy I could help with the watermark.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you like it, Judy ... and for the help on copyright watermark

    ReplyDelete
  11. The latest piece is stunning, John. But then that is no surprise to me. I absolutely love that composition. You've captured the absolute sense of magnificence of this place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replied to this once, Sherry! Don't know what happened! Anyway, thank you for your kind comments.

      Delete
  12. This is wonderful! The level of detail is just extraordinary - so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for you kind comments and the use of your photograph

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi John. St. Andrew's is gorgeous, as is your drawing!!!
    Congradulations with all your sales. You and Pat really are doing well. I think I'll send my unframed paintings to you, and ask you to handle the marketing. :) For a commission, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm probably making it sound better than it is, Kathryn. But it is encouraging.

      Delete
  15. John I am quite simply astounded! Not only by your incredible drawing skills, but by how quickly you have gone from your first blog post, to having an Etsy shop, selling prints on Fine Art America, your Daily Paintworks.... All of these things I want to do but time has just not allowed me to spend it working out how best to go about it all. You truly go at things face first and I admire you so much! You deserve every ounce of your success :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, Sandra. It's all about taking tiny steps, consistently and not expecting too much, too soon.

      Delete
  16. What a awesome image, John!....and the colored window in the back is a magnet for the eyes! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear John, your work is always more impressive! Your virtuosity seems to come at the most ... and then you exceed yourself with another job even more amazing! The Cloister is REALLY amazing ... but what adjective to use for this your last masterpiece? You leave me speechless!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rita. I'm glad you like this one. The problem is trying to follow it with something that doesn't feel ordinary and boring!

      Delete
  18. I feel like I am out of superlatives at a time when I need the best one the most - this is so excellent, John. I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Susan. I'm really pleased you liked it

      Delete
  19. John, this is truly amazing. The angles, curves and perspectives present a challenge few could contemplate in any medium, let alone the unforgiving medium of pen and ink. I love the colour in the distance and Priscilla. Lovely touches. You're in a class of your own. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It was probably the most challenging so far, John, and leaves me searching for something to follow it.

    Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  21. you've added alot of detai john you must be pleased with this one ! gives a wonderful sense of scale .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. Yes I'm reasonably pleased with it. Just wish I could have got the three stained glass windows.

      Delete
  22. Wow. John the angle you chose, the lines of the drawing itself, just everything about this is incredible. I really loove this one. You are incredibly talented. So glad I found my way here a bit ago, truly.

    :)

    –Karyna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karyna - I hope you have fun with Celtic Knots!

      Delete
  23. Wonderful work - very PROUD to have you as a blogging friend

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a nice thing to say, thank you ... long may your Internet stay free of cobbles!

    ReplyDelete