Wednesday 6 February 2013

The Journey Back - end of YEAR ONE

I started this blog on the 6th. February 2012.  Originally it was going to record my journey back into the  world of art after a break of 'many-years.' It has turned out to be much more than this, and that is thanks to you lovely people.

Art really began for me in earnest in 1980 as an enthusiastic novice. Due to a most fantastic stroke of, unplanned, luck I turned professional in 1983. 

Life as an artist was not all that I thought it would be, for as a jobbing artist one takes commissions as often as one can. In other words I spent all my time producing what others wanted and was driven further and further from what I wanted to do. 
To compound the situation, I was getting commissions from big business (Shell Oil for example) and this brought deadlines.
Eventually I decided it wasn't the life for me, and changed course.

As a result of persuasion from my wife and a granddaughter, I began the road back into art a year ago today. It started off as a lonely journey and is recorded on this blog, which I thought would never be seen outside the family. My first follower, Sandra Busby, bless-her-cotton-socks (sox) (view her blog) assured me things would be OK, and sure enough I've averaged 1000 page views a month ever since ... but more importantly, I have made many kind and supportive friends along the way. Thank you, Sandra, thank you everyone!

Here is the latest offering, the Susan Constant. You can read all about her in the last few posts - she is, in her way, one of the most important ships in the history of the Western World.

click on image to enlarge

                                                            'Susan Constant' 1605                                      John Simlett 2013
24 inches x 21 inches (600mm x  530mm)
Pen & Ink on Cartridge Paper

I will show this drawing (not a sketch!) again when it has been through my Printers - my photograph (above) is no better than my previous efforts at photography.

For those of you interested in the signal flags, flying from the mizzen mast, they spell out S I M L E T T ... a novel way of showing copyright! The Union flags flying from the main and fore masts are slightly different from the modern 'Union Jack' of Great Britain, but are significant and specific to 1605.

37 comments:

  1. Felicidades por el aniversario del blog, tus dibujos son muy buenos y es un placer seguir el desarrollo de tus trabajos. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, John, on celebrating a full year of blogging. You have made my blogging world more enjoyable with your skillful work and clever wit.
    The Susan Constant is another outstanding work of art.
    Lifting my glass to another wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, it's been a really nice experience, and thanks for your kind support

      Delete
  3. A wonderful tale, John.

    Many congratulations on your first birthday and the Blogging World is better off for including your good self within its walls.

    Your riveting drawings (not sketches) are a thing of beauty, indeed.

    May the "Susan Constant" sail calmly and truly.

    Ad Multos Annos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear John, my warm congratulations on your blog and your wonderful art that "Susan Constant" is the latest marvelous magic!Thanks for the nice dialogue!
    AD MAIORA
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. And 60 followers later - here you are! And why wouldn't you be - your work is spectacular! And you are just... well, so likeable, lol!
    I'm so glad you got back in to your art. You are a master at your craft :0)
    Thanks so much for the link too! :0))

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful John, that you have stayed and continued to post your marvelous work. We are all so happy to see your great work and very interesting post. Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the first year of Blogging. Its been fun coming along for the ride. Your work is lovely. . so glad your Family has your back in helping you to keep doing what you are very good at doing..

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is a most elegant lady, John. A superb DRAWING! I think I am guilty of calling your drawings "sketches". My apologies.
    And congradulations on a year of blogging, and many years of art.
    It has been a true pleasure getting to know you via our blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did sound a bit of a Prima-Donna over 'sketches,' sorry!

      Thanks for all your support, Kathryn.

      Delete
  9. This is a masterpiece! Treasure it. What a fabulous achievement. And not just the draftsmanship and attention to detail, but it is a joy to behold! Glad I can count myself as one of your online friends. Happy Blogoversary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on a year of blogging. So glad you did come back to art, what stunning work you produce. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, John! Just a short comment from me as I am still in the middle of my move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your move goes well, Judy ... looking forward to your blog relaunch.

      Delete
  12. Hi John, congratulations for the first year of your blog and also for your fantastic "Susan Constant", an incredibile great work! Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful ship, John! I must confess I found myself pondering how just 4 lines can make cloth sails appear as they do, slightly billowed and everything! I think it is a gorgeous piece and I also think this ship was stunning upon its completion in real life...All that wood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry, many thanks. The sails are always a problem, so easy to over/under draw them. Ships really live!

      Delete
  14. Congratulations, John!!! I can't believe it's a year already!!
    "Susan Constant" is absolutely beautiful.. and perfectly drawn...You are one talented man and I'm so glad I know you.!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilda. I'm very glad to know you too. Hope the snow wasn't a problem for you.

      Delete
  15. Happy Anniversary John! I am so glad you returned to making art--there is "heart" in everything you do. It just always comes across that you value history and know that in the beautiful ships and planes and buildings...there are connections to the people who designed and built them, used them, and loved them! It is a wonderful thing to share with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to say - how kind you are, Celeste.

      Delete
  16. Muchas felicidades John!! Es una suerte poder seguir tu trabajo. He disfrutado viendo la evolución de tu último dibujo, el "Susan Constant", y con tu trabajo de investigación. El resultado es magnífico.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Susan Constant is masterful! A fitting accomplishment on your 1 year blogging anniversary. So happy I found you and can see your beautiful drawings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was your ballet dancers that made me a fan of yours, Susan. I'm just happy you like my humble offerings!

      Delete
  18. Hello John! Thank you for your comment earlier,...
    but I truly wanted to say first of all this drawing is great, which is funny because you describe this as "not a good picture" that you took. I can only imagine how nice the original looks!

    But I find your story interesting. I saw a video by another artist yesterday and she mentioned how she's so grateful for all the commissions she's getting recently, but she also has so much work now that she doesn't want to resent it and not have it be enjoyable anymore, and you're story reminded me of this... But anyway, I'm rambling..... the reason I bring this up is because I'm glad you leaving worked out BUT that now it's working out you coming back to it these years later! It's also cool to have your family supporting that, very fortunate. You can never really get away from drawing/art I guess, even if doodles, or professional or hobby!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy blog-iversary, John! I am amazed at your details-all the way down to the shadows! You see ( and thus create) in amazing ways.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy blog-iversary, John! I am amazed at your details-all the way down to the shadows! You see ( and thus create) in amazing ways.

    ReplyDelete