When we moved into this house 24 years ago, we unearthed an old pot half buried in the old Victorian Green House. Pat washed and cleaned it, and it turned out to be a Russian teapot (there were markings on its bottom). Unfortunately the lid was missing, but nevertheless I posed it and painted it, and took the liberty of adding a little bit of a samovar. This is my first attempt at painting detail, and the simplicity of the patterns on the pot very fairly easy to mimic.
The lemon slices were a bit of a disaster.
| Russian Teapot (Painting #4) John Simlett |
Acrylic on Stretched Canvas.
14 inches x 10 inches
36 cms x 25cms
This painting was easier to do than rebuilding the greenhouse, as I did in 1996. I built it exactly as the old Victorian one that had fallen down shortly after we found the pot. I kept the original steel 'A' frame as you can see in the picture.
In the comments, Linda Roth asks to see the finished greenhouse, so here it is:
The building to the right used to be a stables, you can see I've built a conservatory (sunroom) on the side. Inside, downstairs are my workshop and a gym. Upstairs, an office - it was my studio up until quite recently - and a storage room.