Thursday 16 July 2015

Painting Again!

As the rainy day jobs come to a conclusion, I managed to slip in a quick painting. The first in months.

For those who don't know it, Wimbledon is the British premier tennis grand-slam venue. As it is the oldest lawn-tennis tournament  in the world it has taken on many very formal traditions. For example, Lewis Hamilton the world champion Formula One racing car driver, was refused admission to the VIP box, despite his invitation, because he wasn't wearing a neck-tie.

You can image the shake up then when German born Dustin Brown turned up on the famous Centre Court to play Rafeal Nadal who was expected to be in the final. Dustin Brown was an outsider in all respects: ranked 102 in the world, a Rastarfarian with body piercings, earings, necklaces etc.

The British have a tradition of cheering the 'underdog' on. Dustin rose to the occasion and won the admiration of a nation, and the hearts of the ladies. It soon became obvious that this young firebrand was a gentleman, a good sportsman and entertainer. His tennis set the place on fire and he beat Nadal. 

I've tried to draw out the 'red hot' nature of the man his tennis and the image he left burnt in our minds. I also tried to set it on the backcloth of a cool formality.

I hope you like it.

 Dustin Brown - Wimbledon 2015       John Simlett
Acrylic on Canvas
(30 inches x 18 inches
765 mm  x 460 mm)

22 comments:

  1. Wow, your talent is amazing..you captured him big time. Sorry you're being rained out and can't get your shop done, but you are not wasting your talent. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cris, nice to see you. Will pop over later. Thank you for your kind comments.

      Delete
    2. Are you blogging again, Cris? I can't find a route to your blog anymore

      Delete
    3. I've shut my blog down John. Not sure I'll resume it. I've had two surgeries since last October I'm recovering from. Some guy hit me with his trailer while we were at our dump breaking my hip and damaging my knee and back. My mind is just into healing. Thanks for asking. I saw your wonderful painting and just had to comment. :)

      Delete
    4. I remember the event, Cris. Such a dreadful time you have had, I do hope you make a full and speedy recovery. Your blog is really missed, it was like a breath of fresh air

      Delete
  2. Wonderful, John.

    Superb artistry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with David, John. Really amazing portrait and I love hearing a bit about the tennis tournament history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful portrait...that hair is fantastic...what energy. I hope to see more portraits from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Celeste. Glad your exhibition went well

      Delete
  5. Love it, John! You have caught the concentration in his eyes, and the focus on his face, and the hair is fantastic!!!
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness John!! This is fabulous! The colors ...his expression ...all wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Portrait Lady - a great compliment from you

      Delete
  7. I can't stand tennis, even more so these days with all that unnecessary grunting so I've no idea who this is but I like your portrait very much-there's a great sense of movement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, John, you certainly did a great job capturing his determination on his face. Also the action ,pose etc. really well done. Sorry about the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recognized him right away. What a great job you did and you caught the intensity of his focus. Boy - when you paint quickly you capture the essence. No overworking here.
    Good to know you enjoyed his playing style. We did too.
    Watching Wimbledon is a tradition in our house.
    My hubby is an avid tennis watcher - even though he cannot play any more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The composition is great, and you captured the moment of movement very well. Great portrait, John!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My wife is more the follower than I. Great fun to paint this one. No idea how to set about it so I let the brushes paint it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So good to see you painting again :)

    ReplyDelete