Saturday 20 January 2018

The Light of My World

You have probably seen the Pre-Raphaelite painting 'Light of the World' by Holman Hunt, in which the light source comes from below, casting unusual shadows on the subject. It is my intention to paint a portrait of my great grandson 'Topgun' (Logan) using a similar light source, from below, that all but blots out his image with shadow.

To complicate the issue I shall use oils, and paint it in mono - yes black & white (ish).

I've made a start by sketching out the basic image, in which a nighttime scene shows Topgun  holding a bright light in his hands and looking down on it. I have used the grey (gray) grounded canvas I showed you in the previous post.


I have set myself an impossible task here, but at worst I will turn a grey canvas into a black canvas and nobody gets hurt in the process. If it works then it will match the portrait of his dad, Max, that I painted last year



Why I have to complicate life with next-to-impossible tasks I don't know ... it must be pre-programmed into my DNA. For example, I am about to turn-over the wooden Maine Lobster Boat (Seagull) I am building: 


The easy way to turn it over is by using 10 strong men! I want to do it single handed next week. I don't have the foggiest idea how though ... I can't wait to see what I do. 

13 comments:

  1. Have fun with the painting and the boat....good luck. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you want to paint Logan! And for the boat.... you'll find a way, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you need a hand John I live quite close to you and have plenty of planks to skid her out of the shed roll her over and skid her back in also heavy duty block and tackle but wouldn’t think that’s necessary.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind, thank you, Dave. I'll let you know if I need a hand.

      I'm ashamed to say that I still haven't got involved in any local art activities yet; life may slow down soon ...... or not!

      Delete
    2. Yes let me know John, do you have my contact details?

      Dave.

      Delete
    3. Here is my e-mail just take out the space between Dave and the @ sign.

      dave @hamdden.co.uk

      Delete
  4. Can't wait to see what you do with the painting of Topgun as well as turning the boat. Maine lobster boat huh, that's where I live. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the original painting, Light of the World. Powerful. Easy to to actually because it is of Jesus and of course we cannot tell if Hunt got a likeness of not! In your case... a lot more difficult.
    Regarding the boat...hahahahaha. Yup, DNA to blame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope I'm not getting out of my depth with the painting.

    ReplyDelete