Monday 30 April 2012

I was talking working in wood with Linda

I've stopped drawing my dock scene because I came across some old photographs of Mississippi Paddle Steamers. The Shipwright-me and the artist-me, ganged up on simple-me ... mes' took a vote on it, and I am to draw a series of  the 'old gals'  (walks off whistling tunes from "Showboat")


Linda (from L.W. Roth, Out On a Limb) and I, both love furniture making, and as I am now some way off posting my next picture I thought I would show you  'another side of me' (multi-faceted  John). This will allow me to chat with Linda at the same time!


OK, so I'm called Gatepost Pictures because Pat drove the car through the gate whilst she was learning to drive in the 1960s - I should add the gate was shut at the time. I carved the remains of a gatepost into Maka Tiki, the Polynesian Tiki who looks after families - we called it a Gatepost Production, then later we became Gatepost Pictures.


It's the only thing I ever carved, but I am a fully trained boat builder (Shipwright), so working in wood is second nature.



But I'm also a writer, whilst Pat is an avid reader ... as we have miles of books I decided we needed a library. I turned the round facings on my lathe, and churned out bookcases. (There are a lot more bookcases since these picture were taken... these photos were WIP.
                                                 Click on Pictures for Best Result





I also made the panelled ceiling to make it all very light for reading. I'd started panelled ceilings in 1998 in response to being written off by the medics. Here are a few:




This one is Brazilian mahogany and Sapelle in the sitting room. (above)



An American White Oak ceiling in a bedroom. With a glimpse of a four poster bed, below, which I made in Hemlock (the tree not the poison)

Below is the hall in Californian Black Walnut


Here's a Welsh Dresser I made for the dining room. Notice the shaped pelmet on it, which is my signature (you can see it replicated on the bookcases)


These custom built units also have my signature, I made them to fit the breakfast room that I have built; it faces east for the rising sun)



I have just completed the master bedroom ceiling and made period shutters at the same time

You can see the shutters below








My current project is a four poster bed for the master bedroom - below are the posts I turned on my lathe, and then varnished. Each post has to be made in two parts and the glued together. The wood is my favourite - mahogany. 



17 comments:

  1. Okay John, I am even more IMPRESSED! How I would like to meet you in person along with my husband, who loves ships (tall ships), his grandfather a fisherman went down with his ship in Nova Scotia; was a furniture finisher and wood carver in years past and who would so appreciate all these things you have made. He also lived in England for a few years as a child (dad in US military).

    I loved your Churchill quote about cats and dogs today (on my blog)...and your love of grand daughters runnith over.

    Thanks again for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're too kind to an old 'fella' and his ramblings :0). The grandfather sounds one heck of a man.

    My cousin lives in Nova Scotia (third generation Canadian). I only found about him four years ago; he's a month older than me and had a very similar background (Canadian Air Force)

    ReplyDelete
  3. is there anything you can't do! artist, writer, ship builder, furniture maker and wonderful tiki maker! you really are multi-talented. I especially love the story of how you came to be called Gatepost pictures and how ingenious to carve the remains of the post into such a wonderful wood carving (and ensuring that Pat's faux pas while learning to drive remains immortalised for all time!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Nicola. The only reason I carved the Tiki was because I bought a set of carving chisels for only £1 ($1.6) in the Amahs' (servants) Market in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed, John, you have so many talents! I love the Welsh dresser and the unit in the breakfast room! The story behind Gatepost pictures is wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Judy. Remind me to tell you how she learnt to reverse a car ... out of the field she had accidentally driven in to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is just no end to your talents! How wonderful to be able to make your own bespoke furniture! I would LOVE to have a small library in my home. What a treat to have somewhere to melt in to a good book.
    And it sounds like Pat's driving skills are about the same as mine, lol! Though I really am a careful driver, accidents seem to just 'find' me! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well ... I can't paint! I'm very lucky to have the training and tools that allow to do most practical things.

      Pat had to relearn driving when we went to Germany, and ended up a far better driver than I have ever been ... but in the beginning ....!

      Delete
  8. That ceiling in Brazilian mahogany is a knock out John. In fact all of them are. Your cabinetry is impressive too. Your post is very exciting. I was/am a designer of architectural cabinetry. An ocean closer, another economic time, we could have done some really good business. I wish I could show you some of my designs, but I'm exploring painting till the climate changes. I feel that it is--maybe I'll do a post on my designing past? You've inspired me. There is nothing more exciting than walking through a space you shaped with your sweat over the drawing board or with your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I thought this post would stir you up - I know your background.

      My daughter's American 'boyfriend' always he could find lots of work for me in the US - I always say he's 20 years and 3000 miles adrift.

      You really ought to walk us down your memory lanes, Linda. I for one would look forward to it.

      I must admit 'you artists' have really inspired me - the work rate and enthusiasm you all bring into my little world makes each day really exciting.

      Delete
  9. I've said it so many times, but I'll say it again, John!!! You are so amazing!! I love your post...and love your talent in furniture making....and those ceilings!! I love them all but of course, my favorite would be the Brazilian Mahogany..you are the "man"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hilda ... I never show the things I get wrong, but thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. John, my "busy" is NOTHING compared to yours!!! I am completely gob-smacked! My word, you are so talented and creative. Those paneled ceilings are absolutely gorgeous!!! And I could very happily move into your library to stay. I must repeat what others have said ... you are AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathryn, The library is now everyone's favourite room. I've built bookcases around the doorway which works well: walking through an archway of books. I saw it done in a 'Stately Home' and always fancied the idea.

      Delete
  12. John, you are amazing! I love the ceilings. What a lucky woman your wife is. No doubt you are lucky to have her also. I also love your carving. Would love to see you do more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leslie and Celeste - We've been married 53 years so I guess she's learnt to put up with my strange ways! :0))

      Delete
  13. wow! Fantastic! It is really amazing how a ceiling (a beautiful one) transforms a room.Your Mrs is very fortunate, indeed. I love every photo...your home is a true sanctuary

    ReplyDelete