Sunday 16 September 2012

The Mouse Trap

My lovely granddaughter bought us the best tickets in the house for us to see ...



... this is the world's longest running stage-show, which started in 1952, and is showing in Saint Martin's Theatre, London . It was totally brilliant.



We travelled down to London on the train - first time I've been on a train for a very long time. She'd also bought us a very nice hotel room near Regent's Park. This was a combined Birthday - and Wedding Anniversary present, for this week we have been married 53 years, and our birthdays were last week. I am 3 days older than Pat.




She was the red-haired (and freckled-faced) actress - she'd already won the British Public Speaking Championship three years running, and gone down a wow as Katherine, in The Taming of the Shrew.... with a voice, critics said was, "... like cut-glass crystal"... 
...........before I dragged her down to my level :0).

I was the boy from the wrong side of the tracks, a shipwright and recently qualified draughtsman. Her family were in despair and our friends declared us mad, "These tearaway's  won't last 10 minutes." Contrary to belief, we gave up everything, and decided that 'family' would be the centre of our lives.

We have never deviated from our original plan in which the central role would be the family-manager and the secondary  occupation would be the provider. To this end I somehow became a 'fly-boy' and spent the next 25 years flying around the world ... because it paid well! Pat brought up the four children on the proceeds.

When the kids had grown up and left home, 'we' gave up aviation and 'we' became an artist... then a project manager in Industry... then a Systems manager promoted divisional systems manager. Next a manufacturing director. Finally a life in academia in Criminology, and later a writer of thrillers and poetry.

The grandchildren, all girls, moved in with us and it started all over again! They've all left now, the last quite recently.

Over the 53 years, we have moved home 24 times, lived in many countries and it wasn't always easy sailing. We lived life at a break neck speed but we have had so much fun along the way.

Now 'we' are an artist once more ... this blog records the route back into art, which started in February 2012. For those who wonder why we call the blog, "Gatepost Pictures":

   
When Pat was 24, she drove the car through the gateway into the driveway .....the gate was shut at the time! I carved the broken gatepost into Maka Tiki, the Hawaiian God who looks after families. We called it a 'Gatepost Production.' From which emerged Gatepost Pictures!


20 comments:

  1. Dear john,a wonderful post!
    The first art work is people's lives, the fruits of this life that continue
    in the family grows ... are masterpieces!
    Three years beyond the golden wedding ... many congratulations and best wishes to all!Rita.

    (PS:I really love Dame Agatha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rita ... I think I might have to wait a long while before my career girls produce great grandchildren!

      Delete
  2. Many many congratulations, John! What a wonderful life you both have lived! You are a great team! I've seen The Mousetrap years ago, well who hasn't. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy ... we have always been going to see the show ... but now we have!

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday and happy anniversary to you and Pat - I adored reading about your life together and the choices you have made. It sounds like a fairy tale romance that has lasted and lasted all this time. Such a delightful story and I am captivated by your use of "we" - you and Pat are two peas inhabiting the same pod for over 53 years! And it seems like, with your recent adventures into art, you have come full circle again. And I love the wedding photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Susan. But as we both like to be in charge and not take orders ... it can be a fiery democracy at times :0)

      Delete
  4. What a fascinating story! I just couldn't help but laugh at the reason behind 'Gatepost' pictures. It seems Pats driving skills are about as good as mine! And I am glad you proved everyone wrong and are going the distance :0)
    Happy anniversary and birthday to you both! I would love to see that show my self :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan - she ended up a far better driver than I did though

      Delete
  5. Happy anniversary Pat & John! 53 years is amazing! That is how long I've been alive. Your story is fabulous and I had to laugh, John, when you said you dragged Pat down to your level. LOLOL You two are cute as can be too! Your life is exciting and so well lived and I am glad to be getting to know you through your blog. Please don't stop posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 53 years does seem strange ... we never planned on getting old ... it seems to be a bi-product of living daily life! :0) Thank you for your kind words, Sherry.

      Delete
  6. Oh John, what a wonderful, amazing life you and Pat have had!!! A very Happy Birthday and happy Anniversary to you both!
    Thank you so very much for sharing your fascinating life story. Now the Gatepost makes all the sense in the world. May you enjoy many more joyful years together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathryn, thank you. We were more than a bit lucky I guess!

      Delete
  7. John what a lovely telling of your amazing, always on the move, very rich lives together. Happy birthdays and anniversary to you both. That's quite a hair style you were sporting then.I always wondered where you got the name gatepost. Nice to know it came from home and the heart. Many more joys to come from such love and devotion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A funny and in many ways unplanned life. We always saw the signposts behind us! We led life almost by accident, I recorded it in an article called 'Accident Prone'.

      Delete
  8. As always, a thoroughly entertaining read. You're as masterful with words as you are drawings. I love that you made Maka Tiki out of the gatepost. What a brilliant way of turning an accident into a happy memory. Congratulations on 53 years and a belated Happy Birthday to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, John. I can see you have a new posting, on my sidebar, I will try to get over later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary and Birthdays! I enjoyed reading all this. I've heard of the Mousetrap--what a wonderful present from your granddaughter. This post certainly tells the story of your life with your wonderful wife! Oh...how I wish all people everywhere could have such good partnerships! It is such a challenge but so worth it. You are a wonderful example/role model for your family and all of us! Who wrote the thrillers and poetry...(both of you?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your kind comments, Celeste. I wrote the thrillers (yet unpublished!!!!) and poetry (published). My granddaughter and I wrote plays together (and saw them performed) when she was 14/15. But she is the REAL writer in the family now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a story to remember! And the carved gatepost to remember it by. It turned out to be a very beautyful gatepost!
    Before I leave your blog I like to wish you wellcome as the newest member of my blog "art by Catharina Engberg! Happy that you dropped by. You are wellcome back! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Catharina - Welcome and thank you for your kind message, I will be dropping by regularly.

    ReplyDelete