Sunday 18 December 2016

New Project

I stumbled into my new project when I was browsing my old friend, Zephyrinus (Link >>>Zephyrinus's <<< blog)  and saw a photograph of a vintage railway (railroad) engine.

   Now I'm not a particular fan of old trains, but this photograph grasped my muse and demanded attention.


I really wanted to 'paint' this scene, and but I wouldn't have done so without the permission of the photographer. Through the good offices of Zephyrinus I was able to contact Josh Friedman, a New York photographer, and Josh gave me permission; thanks Josh you're very kind ... and thanks Mr Z!! Now Josh's site is really well worth a visit and here is the link


 >>>--> JoshFriedmanPhoto



My next problem was how to do justice to Josh's work. Those that know me will tell you that I'm fundamentally, a Pen & Ink artist who paints. To draw the locomotive seemed the only way to bring out all the detail that makes up the old-gal. Also I needed to draw it very large.

I thought about it for a few days and I invented drawing on canvas direct with the pen... I have found out since that countless other people invented this system before me. Nevertheless, I invented it as well as I had never seen or heard of the system before.

The canvas is not a smooth canvas, I've chosen a medium cotton canvas which gives the drawing a unique texture. Considering that the photograph is 6 inches x 4 inches, the canvas is quite large at 31.5 x 23.5 inches. It needs to be as I am scaling the drawing up to five times larger than the photograph. The size is really important to what I'm trying to do - unfortunately on here it looks much the same size as the photograph. However, when it's finished I'll get it photographed with me ... then you will get the feel for it's size.

                                                                  Untitled                                             John Simlett
31.5 x 23.5  (80 x 60)
Pen & Ink and Oils on Stretched Cotton Canvas
 





13 comments:

  1. Hi, John. You are too kind with your lovely compliments. Many thanks. I, too, think Josh's photo is ideal for your wonderful talents and I look forward with great interest to the finished product. No doubt, all your Readership will do the same.

    Please let us know when you have completed it, I have a place reserved in The West Wing of one's Country Mansion, where I have instructed Perkins, The Butler, to hang it.

    I wish you, Pat, and all your Readers, a Very Happy, Holy, and Peaceful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David and thanks for all the help in my 'training'.

      Delete
  2. This looks fantastic, have fun, and I am looking forard to seeing more of it. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie. I look forward to lots of lovely photographs in 2017

      Delete
  3. Very nice and interesting art work !!!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2017 !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the blog and a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too

      Delete
  4. Looking good, John - and I think you will likely expand this newly invented process in your own unique way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be interesting if it works, susan, it will give me the best of both worlds.

      Delete
  5. I can see why you were inspired by this photograph, it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Josh's work, and your right, this one is beautiful in a sort of 'Turner' way.

      Delete
  6. OKAY, JOHN...fabulous so far...don't mess it up! No pressure, right? Seriously, it looks so strong and quite arty with the negative space. Can't wait until I see the completed work.
    That guy Zephyrinus is a riot. Right up your alley with his humor. I loved "Perkins the butler" bit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a danger that the whole thing will go up in smoke!

    Loved your latest post; the painting on copper is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, John, it will be such a beauty!!! I really look forward to seeing the old girl finished.

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete