Friday 4 February 2022

SSSSsssteam Heat!

What a battle, that smoke and steam have given me....

At last this painting is finished, it's about 70% of where I was trying to get to. The strange lighting in the reference photograph works because we know it is a photograph. Trying to replicate it on a large canvas, with my limited abilities, moved from too bright to too dark via a canvas of  mud.


To finish it off I've got flash reflection off the front of the engine - makes it look much too light. I'm really going to take photography more seriously.



 Having said all that, it has really got me back into painting: I could feel the brush beginning to take over instead of me pushing it stiffly about.

I feel I have moved a little closer to rehabilitation after a two year break.


2 comments:

  1. Delighted that you are happy with the finished product, John. I think it really is a Tour de Force. Please advise if it is now available for purchase from your previous outlet, the name of which I have forgotten.

    Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're sure, Zephyrinus? I don't sell original paintings through the outlet - I deal direct.

      Do you still have my email address and we can talk about it? I lost most of my contact list a year ago, so I can't find you

      Delete